Housing for Persons with a Disability

Accessible living options for all individuals

An assistive device in a houseYou may have been born with a physical disability that limits your ability to walk, or maybe you were in a car crash and now use a wheelchair to move about independently. Or maybe you were diagnosed with glaucoma and are now legally blind.

Everyone deserves a place to live that they can physically access and navigate with ease. And yet, finding housing that meets the needs of individuals living with an impairment is a challenge for many people.

We can help.
Contact Empowerline™ for help locating housing options in your area to accommodate your physical disability.

Are you trying to find housing that accommodates you appropriately?

You have the right to accessible housing; federal nondiscrimination laws provide protections for individuals with disabilities. This includes the Fair Housing Act, which prohibits housing discrimination because of disability.

If you think you are being discriminated against because of your impairment, the Southeast ADA Center can help answer your questions. They provide information, training, and guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and disability access to individuals as well as businesses and governments.

Very low-income adults with disabilities may be eligible for the “Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities Program”. In Georgia, Section 811 provides subsidized rental housing that provides access to supportive services for very low-income individuals with a disability between the ages of 18 and 61. Supportive services can include assistance with cooking, cleaning, and maintaining the household; medication management and counseling; assistance in finding a job; orientation to transportation; and other services to ensure an individual’s stability, independence, and dignity. Participation in services is designed to meet the needs of each resident.

A similar program for very low-income households with at least one member age 62 years or older is known as the “Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Program”. Eligible people may qualify for rental assistance funds in housing facilities that offer support activities such as cooking, cleaning, and transportation.

If you do not require supportive housing with services, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers many other housing options for low-income individuals that are accessible for wheelchairs and other disabilities.